Assam publishes additional draft NRC, excludes 102,462 names

Photo: IANS

Guwahati:  The Assam government has found an additional 102,462 people ineligible to be included in the National Register of Citizens (NRC), which is being updated in the state under the Supreme Court’s monitoring.

The Assam government on Wednesday published an additional draft exclusion list of the NRC comprising the names of 102,462 persons, who were included in the draft NRC published on July 30, 2018 but have been subsequently found ineligible due to different reasons.

According to a statement issued by the state coordinator of NRC, the additional draft exclusion list was published as per the provisions contained in Clause 5 of the Schedule of The Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and issue of National Identity Cords) Rules, 2003.

“The persons whose names figured in the additional draft exclusion list published today include those who were found to be DF (declared foreigner), DV (doubtful voter) or PFT (persons with cases pending at foreigners tribunals) or their descendants, as applicable, discovered after the publication of the draft NRC,” said a senior official of the NRC authority.

“Persons who were found to be ineligible while appearing as witness in hearings held for disposal of claims and objections, persons who were found to be ineligible during the process of verification carried out by the Local Registrar of Citizen Registration (LRCR) under the provisions of Clause 4(3) after the publication of the complete draft NRC on July 30, 2018, were also included in the list,” the official said.

He said the additional draft exclusion list didn’t contain the results of claimants and objects appearing for hearings held for disposal of claims and objections, which were held recently.

“The results of those hearings will be published only in the final NRC to be published on July 31, 2019,” the official said, adding that the excluded persons were also informed individually through letters of information (LoI) to be delivered at their residential addresses along with the reason of exclusion.

“Such persons will have the opportunity to file their claims which will be disposed through a hearing by a disposing officer. The submission of claim and its disposal by the disposing officer through a hearing will happen together. The letters of information will mention the details of the venue of claim submission and hearing,” the official said.

The hearings will start from July 5.

The draft NRC published by the Assam government last year included the names of 2.9 crore of the state’s total 3.29 crore people, but excluded the names of over 40 lakh people due to some discrepancies.

Published on: June 26, 2019 at 19:23 IST

IANS

    Related posts

    Leave a Reply

    *