Gangtok: Sikkim has banned the entry of domestic tourists to the Himalayan state and closed all educational institutions till April 15 as a precautionary measure against any possible COVID-19 outbreak, Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang announced on Monday.
So far, no coronavirus positive case has been reported in Sikkim.
On March 5, Sikkim had closed itself to foreigners by suspending issuing of the mandatory inner Line Permit (ILP) to nationals from other countries.
The Chief Minister said the state would come out with a notification on Tuesday barring entry of domestic tourists and urged the people of Sikkim to avoid going out of the state except during emergency.
The state government has also decided to convert the state tourism guest house at Rangpo into a quarantine centre.
He said all educational institutes — government, govenrment aided and private schools, colleges and universities — would remain shut till April 15.